Enrollment for Medical Coding is Currently Closed
Unfortunately, as of November 8th, 2019, all open seats in our medical coding program pathway have been filled. Calbright is at an early stage of development, and is in many ways still under construction. Though we would love to be able to take on as many learners as possible, we aren’t able to accommodate everyone who expresses interest in this particular pathway.
However, we still have openings in our Information Technology and Cybersecurity pathways, and would be happy to explore whether those options would be a good fit. If neither work for you, don’t get discouraged. Stay in touch so you can be alerted when we announce brand new program pathways, or if new seats open in the medical coding pathway.
Please know we’re here to help every step of the way in your new education journey. In the meantime feel free to check your local college here and do a keyword search for medical coding.
Medical Coding for Professional Services (AAPC CPC Certification)
This competency-based, noncredit, program pathway prepares adult learners for employment in the medical coding field. Learners will progress through the program pathway by mastering entry-level competencies in medical law and ethics as related to medical billing and coding; medical terminology; pharmacology;
anatomy and physiology for healthcare coding; disorders of the human body; diagnostic tests; treatment modalities; and CPT (Current Procedural Terminology), ICD-10-CM ( International Classification of Diseases, Tenth Revision, Clinical Modification), and HCPCS (Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System) Level II coding. Learners mastering these competencies will achieve a broad knowledge in reviewing and assigning the correct procedure and diagnosis codes for professional (physician) services. Upon completion, learners will be prepared to take a national medical coding exam including, but not limited to, the AAPC CPC* exam to achieve an industry-recognized certification.
*American Academy of Professional Coders Certified Professional Coder
Pathway Program-Level Learner Learning Outcomes:
- Demonstrate the ability to evaluate legal and ethical issues that apply to healthcare billing and coding.
- Analyze medical documentation and define medical terminology, diseases/disorders, procedures & treatment to identify appropriate CPT®, ICD-10-CM Code Set and HCPCS Level II codes.
- Distinguish the rules and procedures to effectively navigate and code from the CPT®, ICD-10-CM Code Set and HCPCS Level II books.
- Adapt principles of medical coding related to the three main code books: CPT®, ICD-10- CM Code Set and HCPCS Level II.
- Apply skills and knowledge needed as a professional medical coder to take a national certification exam.
Calbright College is seeking accreditation, but not yet accredited. Learn more about our accreditation status here.